About 3 or 4 years ago and friend on mind gave me a Ubuntu CD and said quite proudly that Linux was ready for the desktop. Ta Da! "Damn engineering hippies and their unbalanced view of Linux", I thought, having previously attempted to run both Linux and Winblows and finally throwing the boot CD out of a moving car. So you could say I was not convinced. But damnit, why not. He'd be harping on about Ubuntu for that long I thought it must be easy to install a very base installation without any frills. Hey, I can show him it booting up and then never touch it again.
Ha. I ended up nearly destroying a Harddrive and my mind.
So yesterday I had a mate at work role over and proudly state that this was finally a release of Ubuntu that he would be proud to give to friends. After I retold the above story I booted the test PC and figured that maybe this time I would be proved wrong...So with the most vanilla of settings what happens?
Within under 30secs of boot my mate was in command trying to fix it. Sorry, Ubuntu you are not ready for this desktop.
Ha. I ended up nearly destroying a Harddrive and my mind.
So yesterday I had a mate at work role over and proudly state that this was finally a release of Ubuntu that he would be proud to give to friends. After I retold the above story I booted the test PC and figured that maybe this time I would be proved wrong...So with the most vanilla of settings what happens?
Within under 30secs of boot my mate was in command trying to fix it. Sorry, Ubuntu you are not ready for this desktop.

That looks hot.. where can I get me one of those?
I'm fining you for LOL-cats usage! Fail!