They say that soulmates tend to pass from this world together. So 3 months down the track from my last eulogy, it becomes a beautiful and sad truth.
------
Looking back upon a life that helped shaped who you are, it is difficult to express the almost unquantifiable impact it has had. You could well say that life is something just experienced?
Whilst I believe that at its core life is experiential, I also think there is another important aspect of a full loving life. This aspect is only found in a deep questioning of what this life and love means and how we, as intelligent beings, should relate to one another.
In Opa we have a man, a father, a grandfather and friend who gave us some answers to these questions and in doing so hinted at how best we understand and live out this experience. Whilst Opa did not necessarily believe in my father in heaven, he was always willing to investigate and debate the meaning of life and this little thing called truth. His profession may have been one of Chemist, but his willingness to listen, question, debate and reason, highlighted his true passion for philosophy and the bigger questions of, and perhaps answers to, life.
Debating with Opa as a teenager I was quick to learn that putting ones emotion aside was, most often, the best method of achieving constructive communication. Opa’s view was to simply respect the other person, be open to suggestion, excited by new ideas and above all give reason a chance. You see for Opa reason was the key that opened a very important door to his world. I personally believe it was the key to knowing Opa’s heart. It was at this juncture that I learnt from Opa want it truly meant to be a gentleman. I emphasize the separation of gentle and man, for he was those two things.
Opa only sought to verbally express himself when he had reason to. His words were what needed to be said, nothing more nothing less. He had a quiet strength that could carry any load with certainty and perseverance. He gave me an example of how to love others; to be a steady ship is uncertain waters, a man who listens before he speaks. A man who you just know has untold reserves of strength. He can and will carry a loved one through anything, remaining quietly proud at the end.
So in all of this I believe that Opa has given me the ability to express the unquantifiable. That is my love for him.
------
Looking back upon a life that helped shaped who you are, it is difficult to express the almost unquantifiable impact it has had. You could well say that life is something just experienced?
Whilst I believe that at its core life is experiential, I also think there is another important aspect of a full loving life. This aspect is only found in a deep questioning of what this life and love means and how we, as intelligent beings, should relate to one another.
In Opa we have a man, a father, a grandfather and friend who gave us some answers to these questions and in doing so hinted at how best we understand and live out this experience. Whilst Opa did not necessarily believe in my father in heaven, he was always willing to investigate and debate the meaning of life and this little thing called truth. His profession may have been one of Chemist, but his willingness to listen, question, debate and reason, highlighted his true passion for philosophy and the bigger questions of, and perhaps answers to, life.
Debating with Opa as a teenager I was quick to learn that putting ones emotion aside was, most often, the best method of achieving constructive communication. Opa’s view was to simply respect the other person, be open to suggestion, excited by new ideas and above all give reason a chance. You see for Opa reason was the key that opened a very important door to his world. I personally believe it was the key to knowing Opa’s heart. It was at this juncture that I learnt from Opa want it truly meant to be a gentleman. I emphasize the separation of gentle and man, for he was those two things.
Opa only sought to verbally express himself when he had reason to. His words were what needed to be said, nothing more nothing less. He had a quiet strength that could carry any load with certainty and perseverance. He gave me an example of how to love others; to be a steady ship is uncertain waters, a man who listens before he speaks. A man who you just know has untold reserves of strength. He can and will carry a loved one through anything, remaining quietly proud at the end.
So in all of this I believe that Opa has given me the ability to express the unquantifiable. That is my love for him.
0 Responses to “eulogy: the unquantifiable”
Post a Comment