nickelass

because beauty is in the eye of the tiger


dubbo: postgrad student life

I awoke lovely and early in my dorm room with food on my mind. I figured the rest of the troops would be in the mood for sleeping in but given my inability to actually sleep that night I could easily lye in bed and just hope for a second wind of sleep. This often happens with me. If I don’t sleep very well or at all during the night, as soon as I hear bird chirping and sun coming through the corners of my blinds, bam, I’m out like a light.

Once respective bodies had begun to surface it was decided to leave our diggs and go hunt Dubbo for some breakfast. Thankfully Sarah being the semi local, and most of the guys up for the weekend having previously lived in Dubbo at the student complex as part of med school, they knew of the ‘only really good cafe in Dubbo.
Was funny to be in the trendy cafe in Dubbo with the other townies. Good food is a lovely way to munch your way into a relaxing holiday. There is something about a good breakfast that can make or break a day. Having said that it seems that the Dubbo idea of a good breakfast is more like something like this…

Hence why some many people are overweight in the town I think. Now when in a country centre, as anyone will tell you, what you really need to do is make sure you have time to shop. Why? Country [interest name of big chain store here]. Yep, Target, Kmart and Myer. It’s the same as the city but a hell of a lot cheaper. Why? I have no idea but it’s the truth and that is all that matters. I picked up some new t’s and man essentials a did not even crack sixty dollars. Mind you Si managed to pick up (but unfortunately despite my insistence did not purchase) some goods with a very well placed manufacturing mistake.

Being male, my shopping threshold was pretty well worn out in about 30 mins (and that’s even when it’s all about me). So lunch was had at the local deli where we met some more Dr arrivals who used to live in Dubbo. Everyone decimated the giant platters of cheese, meat and bread.

After seeing some more essential and historic parts of town the ladies want to keep shopping so we headed back to the Dubbo base to commence operation ‘what we used to do in Dubbo’. First stop the river bank. After some four wheeled driving in a front wheel drive car we arrived at a truly magically scene. Overgrown with Lantana and strewn with VB tinnys we slid town the muddy bank. We most of us slid except Si who had come unprepared in a t, skinny jeans and a pair of thongs. He ended up doing this funny breakdance move in an attempt to stop rolling down into the river but in the process damaged the screen on his mobile phone in his pocket. See, tight jeans are damaging to not only your stomach but also your technology.
Giving heedance to the signage, I had a chat to some locals finishing from a boat as we got out our beer and started drinking on the weir.
Cheers Eric
hmmm…inviting water yes?
Drinkin and stuff.

As extreme as this was it was time to check out the beach, the place to be in summer. Now the beach can best be described as a bend in the river where a ‘beach’ of large pebbles can be found. So what do you do when you are not picking up BBW chicks at the beach? Have a pebble skimming comp. Eric proved that years of Ultimate Frisbee lead to general awesomeness in any skimming comp.

After this much excitement I needed to have a lie down on the couch back at the base. We had a bug night at two of the biggest (and only) nightspots planned.

So that night we took a cab into town for some food at the pub. Simon showed how fully Dubbo he’d become with some of the best swearing I had heard this year. So much passion. So much volume. So many rude words. So proud. After the feed we headed downstairs to check out this happening place. Turn out to be best described as 1/4th RnB club at the front, 1/4th Iirish pub in the middle, 1/4th Aussie Rock’n Roll out the back, 1/4th fluro kids/emo’s and a whole lota mutton dressed as lamb. It was so damn obvious that we were from outatowners and I loved every minute of it. But alas I was just to buggered so I decided to leave the others to get down on it and started to walk back home alone.

Walking those big wide and deserted streets on the way back I met some of the locals but nothing much happened. I saw more police cars rolling around then the middle of punchbowl during the last turf wars. It must be said that Saturday night in town must be a very busy night for the cops.

0 Responses to “dubbo: postgrad student life”

Post a Comment