nickelass

because beauty is in the eye of the tiger


Han's minding

So it's a weekend of cable TV, reading and the Hans generally hanging out. With si away in Dubbo I'm holding the kitty fort down. As lame as this will sound ('oh he went there') it is nice to wake up at 11am with a cat looking at you like, 'what, you going to feed me or what you lazy bastard'. That hasn't happened for a while.

I was reading an article by, Mark Dapin today and had a laugh out loud moment. I first encountered his work in an Australian Car magazine. Being immediately drawn to his self depreciating humour, I also found pleasure in his ability to give almost any character or situational based description in the flow of your mate at the local hotel on a Sunday afternoon, maybe with a few beers thrown in... but without the slurring words... or the random arm wrestling lesbians in the corner... Ok ok this analogy is shot. Moving on. In this article*, Dapin takes a tour of the once bloody streets of Belfast;
Tomorrow, I am going to tour the Shankill Road with a prominent Unionist, but today I am in the Falls with McCotter, and a tour group that includes two North American women, a German, a middle-aged couple from Melbourne, and my younger brother. The Melbourne man wears a battered Akubra, allowing him to be identified as an Australian from a distance. The Americans don't understand the guides's accent - or anything else - allowing them to be identified as Americans.

You know it's a pretty common jab at a nation that needs not to be pointed and laughed at - they are getting better at doing that themselves - but it still makes me chuckle bacause you can well imagine the Australian deadpan humour as this story is told. I think that is what I love so much about my mate Dave's travel blog. It is that ability to make you laugh like you where their with them as they processed the situation and though that very sarcastic remark. You would have said the same yourself.

*Nickelass works for a media company that has published his works. Bias is noted.

0 Responses to “Han's minding”

Post a Comment