Time is too slow for those who waitPlans change. As a general rule in my life, when plans change I tend to become reactive in my thinking, rather then adaptive. Yet, on the road it never really bothers me. In life, be nothing but flexible. Or so they say.
too swift for those who fear
too long for those who grieve
too short for those who rejoice
but for those who love, time is eternity
- Henry Van Dyke
On the advice of a Dutch couple I met briefly the night before I decide to check out the Shinto shrine of Fushimi Inari Taisha rather than the rebuilt golden temple. I awake early having that blissful five seconds in bed when you do not know where you are.
Hey, this is not my bedroom! This is not Sydney. Oh that is right, I am on holiday in Japan. I do not have to do anything today. Sweet.Breakfast before even father wakes, I exchange my house slippers for the dunlops. Sliding the door open I step out in the biting cold. The crisp chill gives me comfort like any winter day would. Two blocks down the road the Inn has disappeared into the fog.
Bus to Kyoto station. Only two stops on the JR Nara line and I alight at Inari. No expectation or education about what I’ve come to see. Out of the station I turn left then right. The fog has lifted and the sky is clearing as I looking up to see the biggest torii (gate) I have ever seen.
I was never really sure how long this would take or what I would see but as I walk passed the rōmon (main gate) I feel my legs yearning to put down a few kilometers and my mind in the mood of just taking it all it. I’ve packed lunch and water, boy-scout style. I read that the Go-Honden (main shire) sits at the base of the mountain but to be honest it doesn’t take me. Still there are interesting ceremonies going on all the time and the bustle of temple life is different. A mix of the sacred and purposeful.
After a tour group arrives (love the old man on the mobile, so Japan)
That said I cannot take enough photo’s of the many kitsune (foxes it turns out…I kept thinking of Okami but come on… I know this word because of the PS2 game, I admit it).
I quickly find myself in a rhythm of torri, steps, a temple every once in a while and a path that just goes on.
I take my queue, finish my food and keep going. The path takes me around the back of the mountain past a house with a ceremony going on. I look on from afar.
At Kyoto station I see the Shinkansen sign. Why not? I decide to visit Osaka because I can. The train that pulls in turns out to be the N700 series.
Returning back to Kyoto it resumes raining and it is becoming colder. One thing I noticed this time around in Japan, the days actually started out warm and became colder as the day went on. Don't ask me why. I catch the bus to The National Museum of Modern Art and in keeping with my peaceful day I rest my feet on those comfy museum bench seats and look at Vienna meeting Kyoto. On they way out I pick up some postcards I’ll never manage to organise myself to send. The rain has softened and my feet strengthened enough for me to walk back towards the Inn.
I check out the Chion-in Temple with it’s powerful two-story San-mon (main gate). Compared to the other temples I’ve been to, this temple complex is at once very dominating and overwhelming.
Sitting there at the bar eating, I feel like I’m ready to meet up with some people. My time in Kyoto has been just what I needed. I did meet some folks but choose to fly solo for a whole. Tomorrow I’m Tokyo bound to meet up with friends. Perfect.
awesome pix man... and i totally agree about a shink between Sydney and Melbourne!