An out take from a letter to my dutch grandmother.
and that's that.
Dear Oma,
I hope this letter finds you well. Since I last wrote I have graduated university and I’ve moved out of home. So it has been changes all round.
I’m still living in Sydney, but I’m now about 10 minutes from the city centre by train. The suburb is called Erskineville. The place I’m renting is a 3 bedroom townhouse, 2.5 bath, open plan with garage. I’m sharing it with MWP and her friend FCA. I have always liked Erskineville as an area as it has a lovely little village with all the essentials and a nice community atmosphere. So I’m pleasantly surprised to find myself living a 5 min walk from the Erskineville shops. I’m also close to the very busy but great suburb of Newtown. The townhouse is only 1 of 2 in the whole block, so it really feels like a semi-detached two story terrace house. It was only completed around 9 months ago, so it is very modern.
Oh, I also purchased a second hand car which was very handy… but unfortunately I wrote it off a few days ago. I’m ok, but the car can no longer be repaired. I did not drive it much as I catch public transport to work however it’s great for weekends and weeknights I go to visit relatives and friends. To be honest, I’m as yet undecided if I will purchase another car. Small cars, like the one I purchased, are more expensive now due to the cost of fuel. I’m sure a decision will become clear in time.
I live close to the city but far enough away to not have the completely hectic nature of city life. I live opposite a park. I have always enjoying living in the Hills because of the trees and such, so it is nice to be surrounded by trees. I even have a view of the city which is nice. There is a nice pub a block away. I’m sure DDB would like that J I am enjoying cooking but not so much cleaning. I hope to become better in time.
MWP off to china in a few weeks, I will miss her but she it will be really good for her. She has always wanted to visit China and she is excited about it. I have no real desire to travel at the moment; I’m hoping to become more settled in my job skills, living in a new environment and financial situation before I consider overseas travel. At this stage I will be moving to Europe in late 2007. I’m not really sure what country; really dependent on what Visa situation MWP has opened to her. It is easier for me due to my Dutch passport.
So many weddings in the family at the moment! My plans to come over for DDB wedding where short lived due to my ongoing commitments at work. Whilst I’m far from happy in my current position, I unfortunately cannot afford the time off to come over and should I be successful at finding a new employer soon, it would be inappropriate for me to take time off. Actually I have an interview for a Business Analyst position next week, so fingers crossed for that. NAN and Si’s plan to marry are going well with the venue and the dress arranged. I truly hope that Pat and Opa can make it, but as you may well know, pat has been rather unwell and Charles has had his hands full looking after her. Kim and Simon still have not sent invitation out!
I have been doing a bit of traveling on the east coast of Australia, and how now managed to canvas most of the ground on the east coast between Hobart, Tasmania and Cairns, Queensland. I would like to visit Perth someday and I could be finally heading off to New Zealand in early 2007 for a holiday. MWP has some of her fathers’ side of the family over there, so it would be interesting to see them and perhaps engage with some Maori culture. My recent trip to Horbart was lovely and cold and I would like to return to the west coast of Tasmania sometime soon.
DIY and Timmeh are going well. Now that the house is devoid of there children we are all wondering what they will do next. I’m not sure they will sell the house this year, but I expect something will happen soon. DIY has become very active with the Cancer council or New South Wales, she is a councilor and is regularly involved with events. It has been really wonderful for her to be helping others and she has made many new friends. I think that her move from Holland to Australia was always hard because she has never really felt like Australia was her home, in part of course due to her own family residing in Europe but also, because to reconstructs ones life in a foreign country with unfamiliar people and culture is itself a challenge. I am very proud of DIY, the recent events of her own life have changed her for the better. Out of illness has come a realignment of her direction and an opening up to a whole new set of friends, tasks and challenges.
Timmeh is doing well, working as hard as ever. His latest business partnership has been very successful. We are both currently working in North Sydney, so I sometime have lunch with him which is lovely.
So that is that really. Life rolls on as we move from Spring to Summer downunder. I truly hope this letter finds you well and that we will meet in 2007, hopefully you can meet MWP also.
Lots of Love
Nickelass
and that's that.
Aww I feel homesick! Nice summary bro :)
life can be a shit sandwich or a journey to be halves
actually i meant to say
"life can be a shit sandwich or a jorney to better halves"