They say it is always coldest just as the sun rises. So here we all were then, dawn in Tokyo trying to out-run the rising sun in a land famous for it. Goal; the world famous Tokyo Fish Markets (Tsukiji Fish Market).
An early subway ride to the fish markets is step one. So we descend into the bowls of Shinjuku station through a maze of underground corridors finally arriving at the correct Tokyo subway ticket machine.

Arriving this early for a train reveals a mass of homeless people sleeping on every available stairway. Space is a premium in the city for everyone, the homeless included. I imagine it is the only real warm place around. Tickets in hand we hoop on the next train.
We have tuck into breakfast. Nickelass is not feeling to well.
Post breakfast I was waiting outside for the others I notice a man riding a strange motorised trolley thing with a coffee in one hand, talking on a mobile using the other.
As we wonder town towards the markets I spy people have raw and cooked fish for breakfast.
It is becoming apparent that my breakfast is not agreeing with me anyway and the thought of fish this early just is not floating my boat.The markets are intense. There is so much movement in opposite directions, in the first 5 minutes I nearly see two people hit.


Not only are the walkways really narrow, but in other places everyone just crosses paths; some on motorised carts, some walking, running, cycling or hauling carts by hand. It’s a recipe for pain. Everything is moving (even some of the fish). Inside each of the little stalls the processing of produce for sale goes on.

By this stage I’m not feeling very well and I use the most un-hygienic bathroom in all of Japan. China has nothing on this one. So we leave the fish markets and next doing into the fruit and veg, which compared to Fish markets is rather tame but the journey their leads to my personal favourite 'action shot' of the trip.

I figured that I was feeling better so why not give it a go. Have to say it tasted amazing.GK has some kitchen knife shopping to do. I take the opportunity to watch the world roll by. I’m a great lover of just sitting and watching the world roll on. I think it’s a love handed down via my grandmother. Put me in any city corner with a seat to sit on and a coffee in my hand and I can be entertained for hours. If I’m ever out with friends I make a point trying not to sit near the front window of the café or restaurant because I’m so easily distracted. Seriously I could be having dinner with Scarlet Johansson and spend most of the time gauzing out the window.



I think in Tokyo I would have been happy just to have a whole day of sitting in café’s on street corners.One thing I'm quick to notice on this corner waiting for GK is how as far as most Japanese are concerned every available road space is a legitimate parking space.
That truck actually pulled up and parked for about then minutes. That is what intersections are for. Then a motorbike parked behind it and after a while the second lane on the road became an unofficial place to double-park your vehicle.
Quick travelers conference and it’s a stroll up to Ginza and then to the Imperial Palace as our next plan.It is worth mentioning here that in Tokyo has the largest concentration of cool motorbikes in the world. Ok... I just made that up, but here are some examples from the day (thanks to GK).






We arrive in Ginza too early for the Sony Building to be open (i.e. it’s not 11:00am yet) so we stop in at the Nissan store via some coffee. Ok the next bunch of photo’s are just for Wei and Tim. Everyone else can just move along, nothing to see :)




The Sony building opens and we check out the latest from the best of the rest. The Rolly mp3 dancing robot thing is cute but would probably be one of those Christmas presents that your really into on the day but by boxing day your over it.
Anyway, it's onward to the Imperial Palace. We walk out of Ginza and towards to palace on these amazing wide streets. It maybe obvious to others but I'm really suprised that Tokyo actually has massively wide tree lined boulevards that are almost Washington DC sized.
The imperial gardens are massive and like any massive garden space in a big city, peaceful but with a steady stream of joggers.
I walk up to the main entrance and some random Japanese girls wave me over. I just figure that they need someone to take a photo of them. Turns out they each want a photo with me. So I’m proud to say I’m the token white guy at the castle in some girls photo’s of Tokyo. Does that make me famous in Japan?We head to the nearest subway, destination Akihabara (electronics and otaku district). As we are about to go through the machine Dina realise she has lost her phone. Mike and GK decided to backtrack to find it. I’m fairly certain it will be either handed in or still wherever she last placed it. I sit down for a coffee and await the boys return. Sure enough after 30 mins of searching…


We arrive at Akihabara and have some late lunch. The electronics district is cool in a nerdy way but it also has some pretty weird stuff. You kind of do get the sense that many of Tokyo’s districts are really centered on a ‘type’ of shopping.
So back to hotel to get changed for night out in Harajuku (not not the girls). Our plan is to meet up with a Japanese friend of GK for some food.

Harajuka is an interesting place. We meet up with GK’s friend and head on out for dinner. Because we had dinner till quiet late, but the time we roll through it’s all closed up for the night. It’s is interesting that even the colourful districts of Tokyo are controlled in terms of open and closing times. The streets are empty except for a few people walking back to the underground. Speaking of walking, one thing that really made me cringe in Japan was the habit of women to deliberately walk pigeon toed. We are not talking born like that walking, we are talking it looks cool so lets all do it. It really is a problem because after doing it for some many years the girls actually end up with really stuffed up legs. Don’t believe me have a look at the video I took walking back to the station.
It would have to be the most unattractive aspects of Japanese women. Still in other respects they do get style points. So that’s enough of Tokyo, after all by this time my mind was already wondering about the snow.


Maybe the pigeon toed thing is a geisha remnant? Small shuffling steps?
whatever the reason it's seriously messed up...
i love it.. shinjuku is the biggest headfuck i haev ever come across - i got so lost trying to find the JR line (or whatever) and nearly cried when they said i couldn't smoke outside, only inside, and i felt bad. piss lane is also great, its somewhere in Shinjuku but who knows? its like a back alley lane full of yakitori goodness!!