nickelass

because beauty is in the eye of the tiger


2200km day trips

Last week I noticed I had a Tuesday off work. But nothing was planned. So I went to check out some cheap flights, phoned a friend and 5 minutes later a day trip for two was booked. City was chosen purely on flight price (lowest wins) and flight time had to be less than 3 hours. And the winner was... Adelaide.

So I'm just back from a 2200km day trip. Virgin Blue, Adelaide City, Rundle St, Botanic Gardens, University, Power naps by the Torrens river, Tram, Glenelg and Jetstar. All in a day. And I can honestly say it was worth it. Whilst I could not live in Adelaide it is a lovely place to visit. Two key observations that I took away are;
  1. The fortune cookie public transport tickets are great. In Sydney this would only work if they were not so generic. How about "The bus is never late, it is you who is always early"
  2. Do not be fooled into thinking the city is full of well dressed homeless people. You know that "collect 10 cents when returned to a recycle centre in SA" label on every drink bottle sold in Australia...that damn label that has always pissed you off because why do only bloody South Australians get money for recycling? Well turns out what it actually does is create a city where seemly normal people can often be seen opening up bins on the street and having a good old poke around between the bin juice. Suddenly the whole 10cents thing really doesn't bother me anymore.
Thanks Adelaide, you've been grand.

1 Responses to “2200km day trips”

  1. # Blogger Unknown

    Was it really worth a day trip and 2200km? But respect is due for the idea and execution :)  

Post a Comment