There goes my reason, somewhere
1 Comments Published by nico on Saturday, November 11, 2006 at 9:55 pm.
So it is a Saturday night and my mate coming over for dinner has bailed. To be honest I am feeling kinda blue. Maybe it is not very helpful that I'm listening to Big Heavy Stuff.
Awoke to the cat spew on the rug my mum gave me. Thanks Notorious! still trying to get the stains out. Summer shown its head today, hopefully will continue tomorrow for sailing. I have not been for ages. Be a chance for me to chillout.
Going to teach myself how to play this tune on the piano. I'd like to play it to MWP one day. I don't know if that is romantic or lame. Little a little b?
For the first time in my life I've had that drawn out period where you leave a job to start a new one and your whole view of you current situation changes in this 50% healthy 50% bad way. It's like everything is really relative to the fact you are not tied to this job. I think a significant amount of stress I experience in a job is because I think I need it. I mean anyone can quit a job. I guess if I considered work an active choice I wouldn't stress about it as much. The other side is that i'm rather unmotivated. Had to let one of my team members go last week wasn't as bad as I expected. Anyway, so I'm off to a digital media company to become a "Systems Tester". I thought it was going to be junior role... the pay sure is... but my contract said systems tester, which I'm happy with. In some way I really feel like I have no idea about why I'm going for this role or why I'm staying in Information Technology. MWP seems to think and worry about her next career move, if it's right etc. I don't know, for me perhaps I just successfully delude myself to just choose the next role I feel confident to get. Heck I don't even know what this type of job will lead too and I'm not too worried. That said, now I read my new job description I think it's going to be pretty painful at times. Still, there is only so much boingboing.net, spikedhumor.com and so on you can view in one day before you realise you contribute nothing to your own career or that of your community.
Speaking of watching videos at work, I was viewing some of the latest TED talks and they got me thinking. I would like to make a positive impact on the world with technology, education and great design. I've always somewhere in my mind figured I would one day be surrounded by some great people with the skills to change things but starting a small startup that pays the bills but really helps people. I don't think I'll ever be happy just working for someone, making money to own land and so on. Something will happen once I know more about making ideas happen.
Friday night I was made of hyper for some reason. I cannot even remember what I was saying, I think I was just mega happy that it was weekend and I was seeing si, the bung and mwp for a house warming. Si did some awesome home cooking. It was all very mid 20s but extremely enjoyable. I ended up having to leave the kitchen after a string of wrong calls. Bad nico.
This morning I just ps2'd my eyeballs out, picked up some items and rolled off to nickpart2 housewarming bbq. It got so hot we ended up having the fire brigade roar on up after a smoking oven incident. The party was made of Queensland which was nice for a change, Sydney people can be... well... so Sydney! Two guys there were army which made for interesting conversation, particularly as one was off to Iraq in the coming weeks. One point of discussion was the American troops, and with miniamal aussie pride, how they made their time in Iraq worse for themselves. The two guys noted how specialized the American troops are, so unlike aussie troops who are trained in a wide variety of skills to get the job done, the Americans have troops who drive trucks but will not change a tire because it's not their job and they don't know how. Also they noted that the "Aussies working in the south have many informants in the community because they talk to them and build relationships with people on the ground. Also, when [the Australian forces] go to take someone out we go for the single bullet because it's more cost effective [aussie have limited resources]. The yanks just call in the [air force] and flatten everything. Next thing you have dead families, people who have no home.. of course they are going to become terrorists". This coming from a guy who feel 6 stories trying to break into a club. I wish I could talk to more solders, it's certainly more information I got on Iraq then 3 years of news broadcasts.
Just got U2's One over the phone, live from sydney. G, the edge even sounds good a 8kbps.
Awoke to the cat spew on the rug my mum gave me. Thanks Notorious! still trying to get the stains out. Summer shown its head today, hopefully will continue tomorrow for sailing. I have not been for ages. Be a chance for me to chillout.
Going to teach myself how to play this tune on the piano. I'd like to play it to MWP one day. I don't know if that is romantic or lame. Little a little b?
For the first time in my life I've had that drawn out period where you leave a job to start a new one and your whole view of you current situation changes in this 50% healthy 50% bad way. It's like everything is really relative to the fact you are not tied to this job. I think a significant amount of stress I experience in a job is because I think I need it. I mean anyone can quit a job. I guess if I considered work an active choice I wouldn't stress about it as much. The other side is that i'm rather unmotivated. Had to let one of my team members go last week wasn't as bad as I expected. Anyway, so I'm off to a digital media company to become a "Systems Tester". I thought it was going to be junior role... the pay sure is... but my contract said systems tester, which I'm happy with. In some way I really feel like I have no idea about why I'm going for this role or why I'm staying in Information Technology. MWP seems to think and worry about her next career move, if it's right etc. I don't know, for me perhaps I just successfully delude myself to just choose the next role I feel confident to get. Heck I don't even know what this type of job will lead too and I'm not too worried. That said, now I read my new job description I think it's going to be pretty painful at times. Still, there is only so much boingboing.net, spikedhumor.com and so on you can view in one day before you realise you contribute nothing to your own career or that of your community.
Speaking of watching videos at work, I was viewing some of the latest TED talks and they got me thinking. I would like to make a positive impact on the world with technology, education and great design. I've always somewhere in my mind figured I would one day be surrounded by some great people with the skills to change things but starting a small startup that pays the bills but really helps people. I don't think I'll ever be happy just working for someone, making money to own land and so on. Something will happen once I know more about making ideas happen.
Friday night I was made of hyper for some reason. I cannot even remember what I was saying, I think I was just mega happy that it was weekend and I was seeing si, the bung and mwp for a house warming. Si did some awesome home cooking. It was all very mid 20s but extremely enjoyable. I ended up having to leave the kitchen after a string of wrong calls. Bad nico.
This morning I just ps2'd my eyeballs out, picked up some items and rolled off to nickpart2 housewarming bbq. It got so hot we ended up having the fire brigade roar on up after a smoking oven incident. The party was made of Queensland which was nice for a change, Sydney people can be... well... so Sydney! Two guys there were army which made for interesting conversation, particularly as one was off to Iraq in the coming weeks. One point of discussion was the American troops, and with miniamal aussie pride, how they made their time in Iraq worse for themselves. The two guys noted how specialized the American troops are, so unlike aussie troops who are trained in a wide variety of skills to get the job done, the Americans have troops who drive trucks but will not change a tire because it's not their job and they don't know how. Also they noted that the "Aussies working in the south have many informants in the community because they talk to them and build relationships with people on the ground. Also, when [the Australian forces] go to take someone out we go for the single bullet because it's more cost effective [aussie have limited resources]. The yanks just call in the [air force] and flatten everything. Next thing you have dead families, people who have no home.. of course they are going to become terrorists". This coming from a guy who feel 6 stories trying to break into a club. I wish I could talk to more solders, it's certainly more information I got on Iraq then 3 years of news broadcasts.
Just got U2's One over the phone, live from sydney. G, the edge even sounds good a 8kbps.
there are plenty of no good reasons but only 4 such seasons to go reason